Understanding Compensation in South Dakota Truck Accident Claims
If you've been injured in a truck accident in South Dakota, you may be entitled to financial compensation through a truck accident claim. Being involved in a truck crash can drastically impact your life in many ways. Beyond any physical and emotional injuries sustained, accidents of this magnitude often lead to significant financial burdens as well. If the negligent actions of a commercial driver or carrier caused the collision, you may be entitled to compensation through a legal claim. Experienced Sioux Falls truck accident lawyers like those at Hoy Law Firm understand the types of damages that can be awarded. Here are some of the main forms of compensation available:
Key Compensation Categories in Truck Accident Cases
- Medical Expenses - Medical expenses are almost always substantial with serious truck crash injuries. This encompasses all past and future costs like emergency response, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, therapies and more. For clients who suffered fractures, spinal injuries or other trauma requiring lengthy treatment, medical bills often exceed six figures. Our goal is to recover every penny owed for your care.
- Lost Wages - Lost wages are another essential category. Getting hurt can prevent one’s ability to work, and some injuries even lead to permanent disability. This lost earning potential, both short and long-term, needs evaluation. For those unable to return to work, a life care plan addresses lifelong income needs.
- Property Damage - A truck accident claim can cover repairs or replacement of a private vehicle damaged in the collision, as well as other belongings inside the vehicle that were destroyed. Out-of-pocket expenses like destroyed vehicles, electronics and other property are also recoverable. Insurance must pay for anything damaged or totaled in the collision.
- Pain and Suffering - Even after physical injuries heal, accidents often cause long-term psychological and emotional trauma. Noneconomic damages aim to compensate for factors like chronic pain, PTSD, anxiety, depression and reduced quality of life. Money doesn't erase scars or trauma, but it acknowledges non-economic impacts to well-being, relationships, and enjoyment of life. For those whose quality of life is diminished due to accident injuries, compensation may reach millions.
- Disfigurement or Scarring - Severe injuries can unfortunately leave lasting scars or other forms of disfigurement. The legal system recognizes these permanent effects as another type of damage. Even after healing from surface-level wounds, many crash survivors live with chronic pain, PTSD, anxiety or depression as a permanent reminder. Orthopedic injuries may require joint replacements down the line. When future medical expenses are virtually guaranteed, expert legal aid ensures insurance providers accept responsibility through periodic payments or annuities.
- Loss of Consortium - If a spouse or family member's accident results in an inability to participate fully in the relationship, damages may be awarded to compensate for the impact on their role within the family dynamic.
- Punitive Damages - In some egregious situations of reckless behavior, a court may choose to assess punitive damages as a form of punishment. This type of compensation aims to deter overt negligence.
Being involved in a truck crash can drastically impact your life in so many ways. Beyond any physical and emotional injuries sustained, accidents of this magnitude often lead to significant financial burdens as well. If the negligent actions of a commercial driver or carrier caused the collision, you may be entitled to compensation through a legal claim.
Explore Your Compensation Options with Hoy Law Firm
If you've sustained injuries in a South Dakota truck crash, understanding your potential entitlements is important. Complimentary consultations with our lawyers can clarify options and next steps. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.